Monday, November 27, 2017

Free Write

Word Count : 865

Define the word:
Being a big sister is a huge responsibility. And no, I'm not talking about a sorority big sister. I'm talking about your flesh and blood, being a mentor and basically the reigning queen over your younger siblings. I speak from experience, and though I can only relate to those with little brothers & sisters. I'm sure the basic responsibilities of being the older sister are the same. Being a big sister means:
·      Being a mentor
·      Being a supporter
·      Keeping secrets
·      Being a chauffeur
It has also taught me to be:
·      Selfless – because I am an older sister, I have realized that their needs frequently come before mines. Its comes with bending over backwards just to make them happy and to please them
·       
·      Aware of my surroundings – once you become someone big sister you have to be aware of your friends and what you doing. I know my little sisters look up to everything I do. You have no other choose but to show them positive vibes and show them how any relationship should be
·       
·      A role model – everything we do is drawn from the actions of people around us. We bring in everything we see and hear to create our own spirit.  My siblings unknowingly draw behavior from me. Basically, I have to watch how I carry myself.
·       
·      Patient – I have gained little to no patient which is crazy. Being an older sister has taught me everything not going to at my pace and it’s not always about me.
·       
·      To share- As I said in the beginning of the semester I was the only child for 10 years so sharing my room & my mother was hard for me. As years goes on I learned how to share.
·       
·      To defend-  I would do anything for my siblings and anyone who has a problem with them automatically has a problem with me.
·       
·      To love - There is something so beautiful about unconditional love. My siblings are everything to me and there is nothing they could do that would make me feel any differently. To love someone is to want the best for them and to see them prosper. Love is not selfish, but it allows the person to grow. Every time I am asked to think about what love is
·       
·      How to be a best friend - My siblings are my best friends. They also taught me to be the kind of best friend that I want to be. A best friend is a support system. Someone who is always there for you and who will do everything in their power to make you better. A best friend will not always tell you that you are right, but they will challenge you and help shape you into the kind of person you are supposed to be.


Description:
Ø  Zhar is my sister; Gemini her personal is out this world. We are 10 years apart
Ø  Hadith is my brother; Aquarius I will describe him as a Greek. We are 12 years apart
Ø  Amir is my brother; Aries he is full of life because he only 1 year’s old. We are 19 years apart

Write a list of all:
1.     The streets you’ve lived on; Rose street, Riverview Terr, N 6th street
2.     The name of your elementary, middle, and high schools; 18th avenue elementary school, Newark vocational high school

Memory
             I have so many memories of my brothers and sister its crazy. This one specific memory is when my mother told me she was pregnant and watching her belly grow for 9 months. The day each of them was born. My reaction when she told me she was pregnant I was so mad. Especially, with my little sister, I couldn’t believe she was having another baby. I wanted to be the only child for the rest of my life. I was frustrated and on top of that, I just lost my favorite cousin. I was in 6th grade and that’s when my behavior increases and my attitude started. I used to get a phone call home every day literally. When she told me, she was pregnant with my little brother Hadith I was just over it. It was too many babies coming into my household and I didn’t understand why. I just knew I was going to be mean to these little kids when they come, and if she asked me to help her with them I will tell her no. Now, as years went on I learned how to love them and was happy I wasn’t the only child because the spotlight wasn’t on me anymore. I was able to a teenager and she wasn’t overprotecting as she used to be.
Finally, the last out the bunch Amir when she had him I was freshmen in college and didn’t really help him when he was a baby because I was away at college but when I came home for breaks I made sure I spend some time with him. My little brother is only 1 and nobody can tell me he not full of joy. I love all my sibling’s and very blessed they were choosing to be in my life.


4 comments:

  1. Your memory with your mom's belly reminded me of my sister. I'm the youngest, unfortunately. I always wanted to be someone's big sister but it never happened. Anyway, my sister would talk to me through my mom's belly as well and would always ask my mom why I couldn't talk back to her and if I didn't like her. I am really excited to see your piece with your brother and all the elements that come with being a big sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two sisters, one 8 and one 7 months. I know that feeling of trying to connect with them and be the positive role model from afar. Every time I go home I try to teach a lesson, but its hard when you're not around to enforce it. Looking forward to your video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Terranni,

    I'm glad you were able to use the free-write to get some of this on the page, and I hope it will be helpful to you in generating the film. You could use really any of these different sections as entry points into the piece. You can also think about using captions throughout to introduce your brothers and sisters by giving their names and ages. Think about structure and how you are going to illustrate each piece. Be sure too that you practice any voice over narration that you are completing before you record it so that your voice sounds natural. If you are going to be reading off of a script, you can have the pages flattened out in front of you, so that we don't hear the pages turning. This is an ambitious and interesting project, and it could also be a really nice gift to your family this holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked your post because i can personally relate as I have a little sister that is 8 years younger than me. I can remember being told by my mom she was pregnant and having the same reaction. But as you grow older you learn how to become that big brother/sister. Great post

    ReplyDelete