Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Bog Assignment 3

399 word count
Dear Best Friend,

It feels like we were just meeting yesterday. At the same time, it feels like we've known each other for our entire lives. It's difficult to put in words every thought whirling through my mind and every feeling rushing through my body. I go from feeling extremely angry that you're we leaving each other soon, to feeling a swell of pride for everything we accomplished thus far. I'm depressed, thinking about life without you, and its ecstatic, knowing what's ahead.
You see, before I met you, I didn't know how much I needed you in my life. I didn't know how empty I would feel when I didn't see you for couple days, You are madly loyal, insanely dependable, and unbelievably funny. Not to mention the fact that you're one of the weirdest people I know. You and me together? Madness. Never in my life have I laughed so much at nothing, or had so many on-going inside jokes. I can't even count the number of times we have sat in my room, rolling around on my floor with tears flooding out of our eyes, as we laugh so hard at literally nothing, that we start snorting.
However, just because we graduating, does not mean that we will fall out of each other's lives. Your dedication, hard work and ability to excel in everything you do will all work together to bring you success.
Believe me, the next phase of life is going to be a good one. While I wish we were entering it together, know that you made the most out of your time in college. I'm just grateful that I can say this with confidence: the best times, the worst times, and the crazy times were the best moments in my life. Our graduation is not the end of our story... it's the beginning.
Know this, best friend, we going to do big things someday. And when we do, we'll be right there by each other  side.

"It's not that diamonds are a girl's best friend, but it's your best friends who are your diamonds. It's your best friends who are supremely resilient, made under pressure and of astonishing value. They're everlasting; they can cut glass if they need to." - Gina Barreca

Love,

Your Best Friend









1 comment:

  1. Dear Terranni,
    I like this letter-writing approach to the story. Lots of very good literature has been writing in the epistolary format (fancy way of saying "letter writing"). It works well because it's a more intimate approach and direct address to another character/person, so that the reader feels as if she is eavesdropping on a private conversation.

    I like that the writing feels authentic and heartfelt.

    One suggestion for future assignments is stay with the particular. Much of the sentiment here is general and so the reader does not yet have a very good sense of either the writer's personality or the personality of the person she's writing to. Being specific would mean referencing particular events or inside jokes that best friends share..."remember that time we..." Instead of simply saying that it's madness when they're together, give an example. "Madness when you dared me to hop the turnstile at the Broadway stop, and then you joined me, nearly breaking your ankle..."You can also be specific about locations and names.

    An interesting perspective overall, and a creative approach to this assignment.

    ReplyDelete