Monday, September 18, 2017

SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN !!!

Blog Post #2
word count : 614
       The day I learned there was no sure thing as a Santa Claus.  I was in 3rd grade, and one day after school my grandmother asked me to write my Christmas list. At this time, I was still the only child.  I still remember this day like it was yesterday, it was snowing outside. I was watching my favorite childhood TV show that's so raven. So, I'm brainstorming about what I want for Christmas. My wish list was Wii& games, baby doll, bike/helmet, board game, card game, books, children music CD( Disney music), doll house/furnishings, telephone set, clothes etc. I was so excited about counting down until the big day and to see Santa give me my gifts. My grandmother used to give story's every night about how Santa will be coming to town.
      Now, days have gone by and I see some gifts under the tree but I didn't see any Santa Claus. So, now I'm wondering why my grandmother always wanted to go in the house first and I had to wait 3 minutes later until I can go in. When I asked my grandmother why she said: "Santa was bringing more gifts in". She knew how to make me excited. It's 5 days until the big day and I'm getting more excited. It was last day of school before winter recess and one of my friends told me Santa is not real she caught her mother putting some of her gifts until the tree.  I told her " yes it is he was just at my house yesterday putting gifts under my tree" she laughed and walked away. As days go on and the countdown is almost over and it's now Christmas eve. I was so excited couldn't even eat all my dinner that night.
      It was midnight, I heard noises in my living room. I felt around the bed and my grandmother wasn't there. So, I decided to get on my tippy toes and go to the bathroom. Lucky my room was next to the bathroom so I didn't have to walk far. Went into the bathroom and I looked out the door can see in my living room and I see my grandmother wrapping the rest of my gifts. I couldn't believe what I was seeing " my grandmother lied to me " which I keep saying to myself. Kamari was right about Santa Claus. I went to my room and cried my eyes out but not loud enough so that my grandmother can hear me. I didn't even care about Christmas anymore. My head swam with half-formed regrets. My heart felt as if my blood had become tar as it struggled to keep a steady beat. My melancholy mood hung over me like a black cloud, raining my personal sorrow down on me wherever I went. Opening my gifts acting like I was so excited and happy about Christmas but I really didn't care about anything. Had to act happy so my grandmother couldn't tell my mood. she was so excited to see me so excited.
     Two days later I asked my grandmother to tell me the truth about was Santa Claus real? She looked at me with a really stupid face. All I could do was laugh. Her reply was "no " I was just trying to make your Christmas experience exciting and memorable as possible " I finally told her I saw her wrapping my gifts and my friend told me Santa wasn't real. Really couldn't be mad at her just because the replies she gave me it made me feel loved.






1 comment:

  1. Dear Terranni,

    You do a really good job of keeping us in scene here, and in taking us through the steps of your change--from belief to disbelief in something that was important to you. I liked that you named your friend (specific) and I liked that you keep us moving through the experience.

    For future writing assignments, consider slowing down and being as specific as possible. I would like to see your grandma struggling with the wrapping paper, have a better understanding of what she was like, as well as seeing the experience the next day, with you trying really hard to pretend that you were excited when you really weren't. I think that's what's most interesting about this experience--it's often the first time that kids have to cover up their emotions for the sake of adults, while they are also experiencing a loss. I like that you added the conversation you had with her the next day, and the fact that she was willing to tell you the truth says a lot about your grandmother's character and love for you.

    ReplyDelete